If your emails are not reaching the inbox of your subscribers then there is nothing that can help you. The most crucial thing to ensure about your MailChimp newsletter and emails is its successful delivery. In order to do that all you got to do is authenticating your emails. In simpler words, you have to prove to the servers and subscribers that it is really you who is sending out the emails.
Why is authenticating necessary? Email as you know is a playground of spammers who use someone else’s email addresses to push out their own emails. MailChimp has its own authentication methods that you can use to achieve this purpose. It provides a trackable identifier that tells that you are a genuine sender. More and more people are doing this and authentication by email marketers has increased to 67% in the current year.
Here is everything you need to know in this matter:
Things You Will Need For the Authentication
You will need the following for carrying out this incredibly important process:
• Access of domain registrar
• Information regarding DNS to add records like TXT and CNAME to the domain
• A custom domain
• At least a day as that is what this process might take
The Process of Authenticating the Email
You can carry out the process from your MailChimp account. Follow these steps:
1. Open MailChimp and log in to your account
2. Click on your name on the top right
3. You will see a dropdown with multiple options including Account panel
4. Now click on Settings
5. Now pick Verified Domains
6. Here you will see a button reading ‘Verify an Email Domain.’ Click on this button and it will ask you for the email address.
7. Enter the email address you are using for sending out the emails to the subscribers in your list.
8. Once you have entered the correct email address, click on Send Verification Email.
9. Go to the inbox and sign in and you would have received an email with a verification code.
Over at Mail Chimp you will see a textbox asking for this verification code. Simply copy and paste the code from your inbox. This will verify the email and the process will terminate and you can see the same email address under the verified domains list.
Hold on the celebrations, as this is just half the job. This has just verified the email address. Now you need to authenticate the domain too.
The Process of Authenticating the Domain
On this very page of Settings in the Verified Domains list, click on the button Authenticate next to the email you just verified. Now you will see TXT record that will be included in your domain. It will be a peculiar kind of code that you probably will not understand but of course it is of immense importance. You need to copy the exact code and paste in to a TXT record by going in to your domain’s DNS settings.
Below this TXT code you will see another code numbered 2. This is the CNAME code. You need to copy this code to your domain too.
Next you just click on the Authenticate Domain button at the bottom of this window. This should do the job but you will have to be patient because the domain registrar can take a few hours to update. Now you will see both Verified and Authenticated with the domain on the same list. Of course, you have the option to disable this authentication whenever you like. Just click the button against this domain.
Once you are done with these two processes, you will notice that your email addresses will be clearer and accurate. The images will load quickly in your emails and it will successfully make it to the inbox instead of ending up in Spam.
Importance of Authenticating
This process is absolutely important because it has so many benefits. Here is why:
• It is a proof of your authentic and genuine self that you are who you say you are. It is a way to tell your subscribers that they are not getting fooled by an imposter and that the emails are coming from the authentic source.
• It makes sure that MailChimp trusts you and shows the exact email address without appending some sort of gibberish link that makes no sense and looks like a spam kind of thing.
• Mail severs like Gmail, yahoo and others will trust you. In fact, your email will garner such trust with Gmail in particular that it will load images automatically when the user opens the email without even asking them. How amazing!
• Your email will reach the inboxes which is necessary for an email marketing or newsletter campaign to be successful. If your email is not even making it to the accounts, how on earth will it get opened let alone clicked through.
• The trust will increase among the subscribers as well.
Grow Your Business with Inbound Marketing
Increase your visibility and build an audience of dedicated customers.
If you are using MailChimp and still have not verified and authenticated your domain you are part of that hibernating minority that perhaps will wake up when their email bounce rate kisses sky. That is a very dramatic way to say that but the importance is so much the more dramatic it gets, the better. The best part is the process only takes few minutes on your end. The steps are quite simple and easy and anyone can do it. The major time is taken at the end of domain registrar only and still it is a one-time thing.