What are the Retainers?
Retainers are most useful for business that need constant development work, but do not have enough money to hire a full time developer. Also, individuals who are likely to need a lot of development might want to have an agency on retainer.
Fixed-fee projects are entirely based on assumptions and wild guesses. Even if you spend countless hours discussing hypothetical details and exchanging emails, you won’t be able to cover every single part of your project. No matter how detailed the specification, there are always unforseen bottlenecks that emerge through the development or testing stage of the final product.
At DevriX, our main goal is to optimize the overall business process through different iterations during and after the initial product launch. We are not just building websites, we provide custom tailored solutions to business needs that are constantly growing and evolving as your business expands.
The industry standard for fixed fee projects is a 2-3 times multiplier due to scope creep, communication overhead, delays, QA back and forth that are unpredictable with a first time client. This is the reason why we are focusing on a stable and simple partnerships with our clients, also known as retainers.
How do retainers work?
Here is a real example from a case study with one of our cients we are working since 2015.
The initial request we received was for a media website that operates in 6 locales with 30 editors and a budget of $50,000.
We built the project as per the initial requirments, leaving a buffer of 80 hours for revisions and handed it to the content editors. Once the product was in their hands, they started submitting large volumes of content in the database.
While observing their writing habits, we realized that the editors are used to a different workstyle and go through too many steps for simple operations. In order to facilitate that, we have proposed a custom tailored editing module, which combines 3 steps into a single one. Given the large amount of data, that resulted in two hours per week worth of savings for each editor, or close to 250 hours of time saved on a monthly basis for the whole team.
Just that initial optimization allowed the team to drastically increase the amount of content, without having to hire two or more full time professional content writers.
Since the project was distributed on a retainer model it allowed us to build the MVP (minimum viable product) and work closely with the team before going live with the public faced solution.
The retainer model of work allows DevriX to closely monitor your business, analyze and optimize your business processes and deliver valuable solutions that repeatedly exceed the development costs.
The numbers, Mason!
Some internet usage statistics:
- There are 3.26 billion internet users as at December 2015; that’s over 40% of the world population.
- 86.75% of the U.S. population uses the internet, but the U.S. is only ranked #25 in terms of internet penetration. The U.K. ranks #15 in terms of internet penetration with an estimated 89.90% of U.K. citizens using the internet.
- Digital interactions influenced retail sales to the tune of $2.2 trillion in 2015.
- By 2017, there will be more internet traffic than all prior internet years combined.
- Wi-Fi and mobile-connected devices generate 68% of all internet traffic in 2017.
- In 2015, 64% of all in-store sales, or sales to the tune of $2.2 trillion, were influenced by the internet.
- 2.9 billion Google searches are made every day.
- 2.7 million blog posts are published every day.
- There are currently 966 million websites in the world today
- The average e-commerce site takes 7.12 seconds to load in Internet Explorer 9, an average of 7.15 seconds to load in Firefox 7 and an average of 7.5 seconds to load in Google Chrome.
- The most popular CMS is WordPress, powering 25.4% of all websites in the world and responsible for over 76.5 million blogs created since 2004.
- 40% of global internet users, or more than 1 billion people, have bought products or goods online.
- A single second delay in your website loading time can result in a 7% loss in conversion, and 40% of web users will abandon a website if it takes longer than 3 seconds to load.
- Slow loading websites cost the U.S. e-commerce market more than $500 billion annually
- Worldwide B2C e-commerce sales reached $1.7 trillion in 2015, and it is estimated to reach $2.35 trillion by 2018.
- 51% of U.S. online shoppers cite slow site loading times as the top reason they abandon a purchase.
- 34% of British consumers cite a store’s reputable brand name for being their reason for shopping with a brand, while 38% cite social media interaction as their reason for visiting a retailer’s website.
- 40% of shoppers consult 3 or more channels, often in the process of shopping, before making a purchase; that’s a massive increase from 10% in 2002, and it goes to show the increasing importance of having an online presence in as many places as possible.
- While mobile internet usage is high, desktop and tablet internet usage still leads for conversions; an estimated 8.52% of desktop users add to cart and an estimated 2.78% convert to sales. This is much higher than Smartphone conversion rates with an estimated 4.70% add to cart rate and an estimated 0.80% sales conversion rate. The number is much higher when you consider conversion rates from tablets and other mobile devices, but desktop still leads when it comes to actual sales.
- An increase in site speed from 8 to 2 seconds can boost your conversion rate by 74% (this is based on data monitoring real user activity from 33 major retailers)
- Increasingly shrinking attention span keeps influencing e-commerce; in 2010, a page that took 6 seconds to load suffered a 40% loss in conversion. Today, a page that takes 6 seconds to load will experience a 50% loss in conversion.
- The average human attention span has declined from 12 seconds in the year 2000 to 8 seconds now. This is much shorter than the attention span of a goldfish (at 9 seconds)
That’s some great data, but how is it relevant to me and the DevriX retainers?
Obtaining a working website for your business is just the tip of the iceberg you have to cover in order to make your online presence profitable. A common mistake is building a simple business card set in stone somewhere on the web with no visibility or ongoing maintenance.
With the social media revolution and mass online accessibility, online marketing has become one of the top industries in 2017. The internet is a source of trillions of dollars in direct and indirect revenue annually and understanding how it works with the world economy will only help your business grow.
Internet users are getting more and more educated on services and products and are demanding more information than ever, prior to purchase. This is where DevriX steps in to the rescue.
We are not only offering web development services, but rather an educated team of specialists that can advise you through every step of building your online presence. Our work with a number of partners in different industries is giving us the unique perspective to execute projects with top notch expertise, according to latest trends in every field of online business.
Why should I choose the DevriX retainer plan?
It’s simple. Because we are the best at what we do.
There are dozens of ways a project could be executed.
Low-cost ones could involve a cheap premium theme and several plugins, resembling the required features – with various compromises on quality, speed, security and attention to detail. High-end ones focus on details, with thousands lines of custom code, and weeks or even months spent on optimizing the platform for speed, security, or user experience.
And this is barely scratching the surface.
Whatever you choose, you will receive some form of the initial request, so what’s the difference between us and other agencies?
We are professionals with years of experience and a solid background
Choosing DevriX as a partner means that you get over 150 years of combined online experience as a competitive advantage for your business. We are a large team of developers, marketers, sales executives, QAs, designers, SEO specialists, content writers and projects managers.
Once you hire DevriX, all of those people will be responsible for the realization of your business idea and will work towards your success.
We will take care of everything on your behalf
We have designated project managers for every partner we work with. This means that we keep track of all the communication, documentation, processes and deadlines internally and there is no need for the extra management overhead from your side.
You inquire. We provide.
Our partners are everywhere
We work and have worked with companies that cover a wide range of industries from aviation, through retail to media. This gives us a unique business perspective and guarantees we are on track with everything that is going on with business nowadays and lets us give solutions and suggestions based on best worldwide practices. This also allows us to create and maintain and internal partnership network and cross-promote services and products accordingly.
We are good at sales
No matter how you phrase it, business is all about making money and your website is the presentation you give your potential clients. Having a sales and marketing team in-house at DevriX is giving you the opportunity to take advantage of our specialists and build the perfectly optimized online conversion machine.
We keep tech jargon to a minimum
At DevriX, we are business oriented and work with a large portfolio of non-tech savvy successful business. We try to keep the tech jargon to a minimum and focus on solving business problems instead. We will transcribe your needs to our developers so that you don’t have to.
How would my project be executed?
But here are some basics of our work process so that we can outline the main idea.
We will start with a discovery session
We will arrange a meeting or a call with you, where our lead designer, head of development and a marketing expert will be present. Together we will identify the main business goals and create the strategy we will follow the next months. We will brainstorm together and create the best symbiosis between latest technology and best UX practices to create the best possible solution to serve you and your clients seamlessly .
We will continue with the design
Design is built iteratively – we will work closely together until you are fully satisfied with the end product. After defining a corporate branding if none is existent, our designers will come up with 3 to 5 mockups with various color scheme variations that you will be able to choose from. We are particulary proud of our UX innovations, as our design revolves around features and will make sure to perfect the equation between visual presentation and functionality.
Next step: functionality
We will provide an MVP (minimum viable product) to be used by testers where we build the key features. We will present you with a basic variation of the initial product for you to use and test to identify what processes can be optimized and save the highest amount of time possible before the initial start.
Reviews and iterations
The retainer plan means that the budget is not set in stone, which allows for the client to decide what is worth reiterating or building further and which features are ready to use. We will update you with the progress weekly so that you can monitor the process closely and communicate with us immediately if you need something altered.
Server setup and scalability
Server setup is scalable, so we can start with a low cost package and grow it gradually as the traffic and user base increases. As website speed is mandatory for any website, this is an ongoing process of constant optimization and fine tuning as your database is growing. The retainer plan is allowing us to monitor your website performance daily and take action at any given moment.
Ongoing maintenence and feature development
Building a great website is just the first of many processes of your online journey. Our team of experts will support you every step of the way to a successful flawlessly executed business presence strategy. We will conduct marketing researches, track your overall performance and suggest improvements to maximize your conversion rate.
Request a quote now
Still not sure if retainers are what your business needs? Check our business guide or request a quote through our form and contact one of our sales representatives directly to answer any questions you might have. As we are a distributed company, DevriX is available 24/7 to provide an in-depth business consultation and analysis.