SEO is a process that always requires lots of time. That’s why every marketer or businessman who does SEO needs a time-saving solution.
After years of development, progress has brought around such a wonderful technical invention for browsers as a toolbar. For those newbies, who don’t actually know what a toolbar is, here is the definition that Wikipedia gives:
“Toolbar is a graphical control element on which on-screen buttons, icons, menus, or other input or output elements are placed.”
Now let me show you some helpful toolbars that will make your SEO work more efficient and save you time.
SIDENOTE: If you are interested in how many keywords you can rank on one page, you should check out this research study.
Moz is a well-known SEO software that has a reputation for being one of the leaders in the SEO industry. Talking about MozBar, I would like to say it is really great in terms of spying on your competitors in order to boost your own website’s position on Google search.
It allows you to see which links on a page are do-follow/no-follow and internal/external. Moreover, you can do a standard SEO analysis of your competitors. You will be able to analyze backlink profiles, measure domain authority, and carry out on-page analysis.
Let’s have a look at the features of this service.
- Choose toolbar’s theme (dark of light).
- Create custom searches by engine, region, country or city.
- Assess ranking probability with Page and Domain Authority.
- Compare link metrics across pages while viewing any SERP.
- Highlight keywords on a page.
- Expose page elements, general attributes, markup, link metrics, HTTP status.
- View Keyword Difficulty score in a real time.
- The free version is pretty basic. You need a paid MOZ Pro account to access the advanced features
This extension will show you the most important data from the popular Mangools SEO tools package plus a lot of on-page SEO insights.
You will get the website authority and trend metrics, quick backlink analysis, the key rank tracking data, keyword density, SERP appearance, PageSpeed insights and much more.
A very useful feature is the context menu integration of Mangools tools and advanced abilities for SEO analysis directly in Google SERP.
- SEO metrics (DA, PA, CF, TF)
- Popularity metrics (Alexa Rank, referring IPs, FB shares)
- Backlink analysis with SEO metrics and additional data
- On-page analysis (keyword density, SERP snippet, outbound links status checker, Google index coverage status, PageSpeed test, social widgets preview)
- Rank tracking
- Context menu integrations
- Advanced featured directly in the SERP
- It’s free for most of the data, but you’ll get all of it as a registered user
Majestic Backlink Analyzer is a part of SEO service that also stands among the leaders. Its main focus is backlink data. With it, you can get a quick overview of any website’s backlink profile and access such metrics as link count and Flow Metrics scores along with history charts.
If you have a premium account with Majestic, you will get access to more advanced SEO metrics as you browse websites.
- Free general overview of the website.
- Powerful backlink index.
- Backlink history chart.
- Referring domains chart.
- Custom metrics like Trust Flow and Citation Flow.
- Both Chrome and Firefox extensions are available.
- You can get access to all features after a full subscription.
- It is not all-in-one SEO software.
It goes without saying that Internet Marketing is impossible without content. That’s why marketers need a tool for content research and monitoring. If you need to know what topic is popular on social media and what topic gets a huge amount of sharing stats, BuzzSumo is the tool you should use.
BuzzSumo browser extension will give you all this data on the fly.
- Lots of data is available with a free plan.
- View shares throughout the most popular social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Google+).
- View who shared.
- Search for the most shared content.
- Analyze website.
- It is focused mostly on content.
- Backlink data is quite basic and should be rather used for estimations and comparisons.
- 2017 Best SEO Trends You Must Read!
- Why Style Guides are Important for SEO Vendors
- How to Use Social Media to Improve Your SEO: 5 Unusual Tips
Ahrefs is probably most known as a backlink analysis tool. But today, Ahrefs has become one of the few “all-in-one” SEO toolsets. Today, Ahrefs also includes content research and keyword research tools. And one of the most popular activities with Ahrefs is a thorough competitor analysis.
With Ahrefs SEO toolbar, you will be able to get all of the most important SEO metrics of your competitors straight from their websites. A deeper analysis for any metric is just one click away.
Let me show you the main features of Ahrefs SEO toolbar.
- Free 14-day trial is available.
- Page backlink analysis (for any specific URL).
- Domain overview (referring pages, total backlinks, crawled pages).
- SERP integration.
- Choose which metric to show and which to hide.
- Informative visualization for various metrics.
- Might be expensive for startups (lite package costs $99, but you can use annual billing and save 20%).
SimilarWeb is a service that works great for the estimation of any website’s traffic. It can show you traffic sources, give you the overview of a website’s audience’s interests & locations, and even show you where site owners advertise.
- Free version is quite enough for a general overview.
- See how much traffic competitors get.
- Monthly visits and traffic sources.
- Site rankings.
- Similar websites.
- Engagements (time on site, pageviews, bounce rate, visits).
- You can’t set specific date ranges with a free account.
- Number of unique visitors is only available in paid accounts for your website only.
- Traffic estimation is not perfect, yet probably the best one among other tools.
The main function the toolbar offers you is getting open data on the website you’re interested in. It reveals to you the basics you might need for your SEO campaign.
- SEO stats analysis
- Page speed
- Links stats analysis
- WHOIS lookup
- Geolocation information
- Number of indexed pages in different search engines.
- Last cached version on Archive.org
- Service is a bit visually outdated (IMHO).
- Ads are shown in a toolbar. If you can live with that, you will get a very insightful tool.
Free browser plugin from SEMRush for website evaluation. It is pretty good for a general SEO overview of any website. It has a bunch of tools inside and even integrates into Google Search Console.
Let’s see what it offers.
- See any metric you need, like Semrush rank, Alexa rank, backlinks, domain age, indexed pages, number of social shares, traffic sources.
- Get SERP analysis and Export results in CSV.
- Estimate keyword difficulty.
- Compare URLs/Domains.
- And more…
- You will have to purchase an account to use the additional features that SEOquake has.
- As well as Ahrefs, it might appear a bit expensive for startups (starting from $99.95 per month; annual billing will save you ~17%)
I am sure you’ve already heard about Alexa rank. It’s been one of the most popular ranking tools throughout the Internet for years.
I won’t deny that lots of SEOs refer to Alexa ranking as an important metric for a website but the practice shows that the results Alexa presents are less powerful in contrast to other SEO services.
Let’s see what it offers.
- Free to download.
- See how popular a website is.
- Find websites that are similar to the one you’re visiting.
- See how the website looked in the past.
- Check out which inquiries drive traffic to a site.
- Identify the speed of a website in contrast to other ones.
- Alexa traffic rank yields the position in SEO community.
This toolbar is used for analyzing your own website and searching for ways on how to optimize it. It reveals more of technical SEO aspects you might need.
- It has a free 14-day trial.
- Traffic Estimations.
- Show social shares statistics.
- Provides title tags/meta information.
- Shows what plugins and CMS are used.
- Reveals page load metrics.
- You’ll get a few advanced features if you purchase an advanced account (mobile visits, crawl errors report, backlink quality score, etc).
To sum up, I would like to say that SEO toolbars are still in-demand in 2018. Despite the fact some of them are a bit visually outdated, they show insightful and important information for website analysis. Pay attention to the features each toolbar has and implement them according to your own business needs.
It is up to you which toolbar to choose because they have a common goal – to make your SEO more convenient and faster. I recommend that you play with each toolbar to create your own combination.
If you have anything else to add to this list of SEO toolbars, please feel free to let me know in comments.
Don’t forget to share this post on social media channels.
Sergey Aliokhin is an Outreach Manager at Ahrefs. He spends most his time learning about SEO and Internet Marketing tendencies. His main goal is to study and practice new aspects of an outreach strategy. In his spare time, he likes to spend time with his family, visit sports clubs, and study martial arts. He also enjoys reading books on science-fiction and playing the bass guitar.