In business, first impressions matter! That’s it, you’ll never get a second chance. Having a creative “About Us” is extremely important. It acts as an introduction and effectively summarizes your brand in a personal and business point of view.
There are lots of crafty and ingenious ways to create an engaging “About Us” page for your company. We won’t say that it’s an easy job, but, it can be done especially if you’ve already figured out the original identity of your brand, and you know how you want to it.
Some companies have chosen the right approach to designing “About Us” pages, so without further ado, let’s see how the following eight brands have created unique About Us pages and what we can learn from them.
1. Yellow Leaf Hammocks
This About Us page is all about storytelling and its effect on the target audience. If you have a good story about your product that you’ve created to improve people’s lives, you need to share it with people.
Yellow Leaf Hammocks invigorate craftsperson weavers and their families through their product and break down their story by combining copy with pleasant videos, photographs, and graphics. They explicitly tell users why they’re different:
“This is the basis for a brighter future, built on a hand up, not a handout.”
A worthy story brings the users closer to your brand and creates a meaningful narrative for your product. Additionally, a good story stays in the mind of the consumers longer than a dull sales copy, and they’re more inclined to share it as a result.
Sometimes, being creative means being smart, which is exactly what Apptopia achieved with their About Us page. The company ditched the industry jargon because in the end, users are people and they appreciate when someone speaks to them in a language they can understand.
By using clear, but refined language, you can ensure that the company’s message will be communicated properly and in an understandable manner. Remember to use short, but concise sentences that actually explain what your company is about in a non-patronizing way.
There are lots of ways to make your brand more captivating to target users, and one of them is to stay humble in your approach, no matter the size of your company.
Let’s take Moz as an example. The company grew a lot since it was founded in 2004, and each of their milestones is carefully placed in their About page through an amusing and neat layout. They don’t hide anything, as a matter of fact, when you scroll the page, you’ll learn how at first they’ve received funding, how they positioned their brand and went back to their original model in the process.
Consumers love when brands are this humble, and they appreciate the honesty! Never be afraid to be honest with your customers, they have the right to know your ups and downs and how you grew the business, especially if you’ve already established as one of the best in the industry like Moz did.
You must be wondering why the best-known sports apparel company in the world needs an About page. Well, Nike hasn’t forgotten what their company mission is about, and they’re eager to pass that on to every new consumer.
Their courageous language, referencing every human being as an athlete, and the product itself shows just how well Nike know their target audience! Even as one of the biggest companies in the world, they rely on rising athletes, which is perfectly depicted in their About Us page.
Bottom line, you need to know exactly who your target user is, and highlight that on your About page.
If a picture is worth a thousand, and a video is worth a million words, how about combining them both for a better presentation of your brand?
This is what the ingenious pack of musicians Doomtree successfully executed on their About page. Immediately after you open the page, you’re welcomed with a bold photo of the pack. Scroll down, and you’ll get to listen to their tracks and watch some of their music videos as well.
If you want to establish your brand creatively, this is the way to do it!
6. Bentley Motors
Through elegant typography and images, the key selling point of Bentley Motors is fully-highlighted on their About page. This luxurious motor company knows its buyers extremely well, and they show us that the experience that they provide is much more than a car!
Using several visual pages that are attentively laid out as a slider, the About page of Bentley Motors is focused on distinctive pieces of their work, history, and accolades.
7. Marie Forleo
One of the biggest branding experts in the world, Marie Forleo shaped her About page in the same vein as a long-form letter to her fans. In essence, her About page is her personal biography that readers can enjoy, before she shifts his/her attention towards, “Which Brings Me to You” section.
If you have your own personal name as your brand, styling your About page similarly to Mario Forleo’s will be better than a general About page. Keep in mind that your business is something that you love, and it is part of your life, and it’s definitely a good idea if you give the prospect a glimpse into your autobiography on your About page, so you can introduce yourself as a real character.
What is your “Why”? Cotopaxi certainly know theirs! The creed Do Good, is engraved in every aspect of the company, from modeling their company culture to the eco-friendly product design and helping reduce poverty in the world.
Never forget that your “Why” is the essence of your brand and that it’s an excellent way to introduce yourself to your future customers.
Writing the Perfect About Us Page
It’s not easy to comprise the perfect “About Us” page for your business, and as you can see, there are many ways to tell your company story, mission, and vision on the page. But, there are few surefire steps to keep in mind if you want to create a proper About page for your brand:
- Define your mission statement: If you want to draw people further than your About page, you need to concisely declare your mission statement and your goals upfront on the page.
- Summarize your company story: It’s always a nice touch to tell your company story on your “About Us” page. Tell them all about the milestones and how your company was founded, and use graphics and media to highlight those milestones. About pages are the perfect space where you can talk about the start of your company, how you’ve grown, and how the company matured.
- Tell who you serve: Every prospect that sees your About page will not become your customers. This is why you need to make About page perfectly identifiable with your target customers. Just answer the question – Who you here to serve?
- Explain what you’re offering: Don’t generalize your product/service in your About page. Make sure that the prospects understand what they’ll opt about. Explain to your customers exactly what they’ll get from your company, and invite them to learn more.
- Include customer testimonials: Your most loyal customers are your greatest selling point! Your About page is one of the best places to let everyone know that someone benefited from your work! It is in your interest to mention the companies that you solve problems for.
- Portray your values: Describe who you are as a team, and what is the personality, values of your brand. What’s your company culture? What drives the company forward? Keep in mind that future employees also visit your About page, and this is another reason why describing your company’s personal values is an excellent idea!
At first, it seems like there’s not a lot when it comes to your “About Us” page, but, if you know exactly what you’re doing, you can get creative and be effective with your layout at the same time.
Your About page deserves a special place in your branding strategy. It is a valuable asset, and with a good story, good copywriting, excellent branding, and gorgeous visuals, you’re on your way to firmly establishing your company among your target clients.