Google owns several internet-related services and products and is undoubtedly one of the most significant search engines nowadays. One of their products includes Google Trends, a free tool that allows marketers and entrepreneurs to reach new audiences and nurture current leads through Google Search’s trending topics. Utilizing Google Trends search allows business owners to analyze important data that shows what customers are searching for.
Using Google Trends for market research can help you realign your marketing strategies. Here are a couple of reasons why you should start using this tool:
1. Awareness when it comes to the hottest trends. People’s needs change, especially as seasons go by. With Google trends search, you can easily track what people are looking for during a specific season or time of the year. Knowing which keywords or topics are trending will give you an idea of which products or services you should promote during a particular period.
2. Use the right keywords. One of the best things about Google Trends is knowing which keywords to use for your content. Google Trends allows marketers to enter their preferred search or keyword and visually represent how specific keyphrases are doing. You can also view detailed keyword searches based on the region, topic, and the industry that your business belongs to.
3. See what your audience is searching for based on other similar brands. Marketers can enter their direct competitor’s business name in the tool’s “Topic” box to see searches related to their brand.
For example, if you own a WordPress development agency called The Tiny Frog, you can type in “Tiny Frog” to see if there are any relevant keywords that you can use on your content.
4. Monitor your business. If you are experiencing massive traffic dips, it might be time to check out the reason behind this. Google Trends search can aid with determining which posts to update and which ones you should probably put on the back burner.
Now that we have discussed the advantages of using Google Trends for your business, it is time to delve into Google Trends for market research.
Improve Your Market Research
Doing ample market research will help your brand understand how to launch to a brand-new audience. This is especially important if you are planning on launching new products and services as it will tell you if it is the right time to venture into the market in question.
To use Google Trends for market research, simply choose “Country” on the drop-down menu and click on your location. You also have the option to adjust the date based on your projected launch date. You can opt to start with a broader term and then move on to niche topics once you’ve collected enough data.
Find a New Niche
Google Trends search can help you find a new niche to specialize in. Niche items can be tricky to deal with, and you need to make sure that you have enough target market interested in purchasing your products or services.
There are three steps to finding a niche with the tool:
1. Start by researching a specific industry on Google Trends. Begin with a general search by entering generic keywords that are related to your brand and industry. It doesn’t have to be targeted keywords right away – even the broadest search terms will do here. Make sure to check the trends for at least the last 12 months to get a detailed report.
2. Compare the trends. Google Trends has a feature called the “Compare” function, wherein you can check the audience’s interest in a specific brand that’s competing in the same industry as yours. Doing this will help you determine how to distribute your SEO efforts. Simply add a key phrase into the search bar, click enter, and then click on the “+ Compare” button.
3. Check on affiliate programs. Here you can look for affiliate programs in your chosen niche. Check how many affiliate programs are available in that niche, what programs offer recurring payments or commissions, the average product price, and how much you can earn from just one referral.
Here’s a complete guide on how to check affiliate programs and find other niches that you can explore.
As we mentioned, Google Trends search can determine seasonal trends. Knowing when and how to market to the consumers will help you pinpoint which products to advertise during a given period. Launching campaigns that are not “in season” is a total waste of time and money.
Studying seasonality will help you plan out your content calendars. Make a list of keywords used each season and base your content on those search phrases when that season comes along.
Pay Attention to the Trend Predictions
Another fantastic Google Trend is the ability to predict trends ahead of time. The search engine giant has added trend data and forecasting for keywords that customers usually search for. Being aware of this will help you plan out your content and know which keywords you should be using in your blog posts.
Leverage Your PPC Campaigns
PPC campaigns or paid searches are the ads that people see whenever they search for something. You wouldn’t want to spend your budget on paid advertisements that won’t get clicked on because they’re not relevant. This is especially important if you have a limited budget, as Google Trends can help determine when these ads will be most effective.
You can also filter the results based on region and cities so you’d know which locations to target for your PPC campaigns.
Be Steps Ahead of Your Competitors
Yes, it is possible to track your competitors’ current positions with Google Trends’ “Compare”. With this tab, simply type in one to five of your competitors’ brand names to see whether you are still ahead of them or not. The tool will give you a detailed report of how your brand is doing compared to those you set yourself up against.
If you see that other companies are ahead of you, you can go ahead and look at their social media or website to view their marketing initiatives. You don’t have to copy what they are doing – just be aware of the strategies they are putting in place and try to tweak or improve yours to get ahead of the game.
Boost Your Keyword Research
We’ve mentioned numerous times that Google Trends can help with keyword research. While there are other research tools out there, Google Trends keywords can show users the expected monthly search volume.
The tool can also help you find related queries that are continuously making their way to the top and which you can use in the future to reach your target audience. Make sure to wrap your search phrases in quotations to show the words in that exact order.
Here are some useful tips on how to find popular trends and keywords in your industry:
- Go to the “Explore” tab.
- Choose your current location or a region, city, or subregion that you want to explore.
- Set your time range.
- Pick a category.
- Look for different topics and search queries.
- Type in your chosen search term.
- Compare your results.
Know Which Locations to Target
Google Trends search can also help with your local SEO strategy. It can show specific subregions, cities, countries, and regions so you know what’s currently trending in your area. Chances are you and your competitors are using many of the same general keywords in your SEO efforts, and by leveraging these phrases using local SEO searches, you can step up your game.
Take Advantage of the “Related Queries” Option
Another Google Trends feature that you can tap into is – the “related queries” option. It will show you what people are searching for based on the keywords or keyphrases you are currently using. This option can also help you determine which keywords you can use for better visibility.
The related queries feature is located at the right side of the “related topics” section. These keywords can be used to reach audiences that are not on your radar yet. Moreover, these key phrases are usually trending which means you can jump on the bandwagon and use them to your advantage.
Simply put, Google Trends is a free and powerful tool that can help marketers leverage their SEO and marketing efforts. Furthermore, with proper use, you can improve traffic to your site, improve PPC campaigns, local SEO campaigns, keyword research, competitors’ analysis, trend prediction, finding a new niche, and of course, market research. Now that you know how to use Google Trends, it’s time you implement it into your strategy.