Digital advertising is a major component of today’s marketing strategies and if you have not included it in your business strategy yet, it’s time to change that.
Whether your company is a B2B or B2C, digital advertisements can help you expand your online presence, foster more conversions and secure more sales. Implemented correctly, digital advertising can allow your business to reach a much wider audience and gain more visibility.
To ensure you achieve your desired outcome, however, you need to plan your ads well. This involves taking every aspect of advertising into consideration – channel, messaging, design, data, and resources. You also need to optimize every part of your ad to achieve the goals in mind – starting with targeting the right audience all the way to nurturing them to convert into customers.
In this article, we’ve gathered 7 digital advertising tips to help your company get the most out of your marketing campaigns. So, have a look at these tactics and pick the ones that can help you get the results you want.
1. Get to Know Your Target Audience
A successful campaign is targeted at the right people. You won’t attract customers if you display your ad to random people. Hence to get a high return on your investment, addressing the correct audience is fundamental.
Take the time to thoroughly research your ideal prospects. The more specific information you gather about them such as demographics, interests, online habits, and behavior, the higher your chances of influencing them successfully.
Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Look at the characteristics of your current clients.
- Focus on benefits, not features.
- Collect demographic data.
- Use customer surveys.
- Look for patterns in client feedback.
- Know your niche.
- Keep an eye on your competitors.
To get more precise data, important for achieving success in your digital advertising campaigns, you can use a dedicated tool like Google Ads, so you can target your ads according to the correct criteria.
2. Think SEO and Content Marketing
Search engine optimization (SEO) is one of the best marketing tools for content optimization. Most shoppers begin their journey by doing a Google search on the product/service they’re looking for. So to ensure that your pages can reach your target audience successfully, you need to follow the best SEO practices out there.
To make your page appear higher in search results, it’s essential to optimize your copy with the right keywords. This way when a person types a query into the search bar, using keywords related to your business they’ll be able to land onto your site faster.
When evaluating your content for ranking, Google’s algorithm considers both its type and its rate of engagement with users. Using various types of content like images, infographics, text, video, audio, etc. will be more beneficial towards this goal.
However, it’s not about just curating loads of content. You need to have a content and SEO strategy in place so you can break through all the noise and get through to your target audience. Hence, you need to create original, valuable, and appropriate content and have a dedicated publishing schedule.
3. Enhance Your Omni-Channel Strategy
Creating and polishing your omnichannel advertising strategy is important for a seamless user experience between platforms. It involves optimizing all channels like landing pages, social media, email, blogs and more, to engage your targeted demographic and hopefully convert them into paying customers.
This process can be summed up into 5 key stages:
- Research – Since you want to reach all prospective customers, not just “some”, you need to understand how your audience behaves, which channels they use, and how they engage with your messaging.
- Defining the Buyer Personas – This will help you segment your audience better thus allowing you to create behavior profiles and find the most efficient way to reach users.
- Creating the Right Content – Create a content library and organize it so you can deliver content that answers your audience’s needs.
- Measuring the Success of Your Efforts – Look at your web traffic analytics to identify pain points or bottlenecks and manage them on time.
- Adjusting Your Strategy – Don’t be satisfied with your results. Always look for ways to improve.
4. Optimize Your Landing Pages
Landing pages are a key element of your advertising funnel. They act as a digital salesperson whose sole purpose is to convert visitors into buyers, and as such are essential for your digital presence.
To optimize your landing page, concentrate on improving each of its elements, instead of redesigning it completely. To know what to enhance and how to make sure to analyze the available data which you can obtain by reviewing the results that previous landing pages have achieved.
You can also obtain and monitor some insightful information before making your page live. For example, you can survey your audience to find out what they like and expect. Then once the page goes live, make new observations and tweak where needed. To get powerful insights you can create a heatmap and cross-reference it with your Google Analytics data.
Here is a 6-point checklist to help you ensure your landing page can boost your next campaign:
- Has expert, targeted and well-optimized content.
- Includes all necessary information on the page so the user doesn’t have to look for it elsewhere.
- Direct call-to-action buttons (CTAs) and a simple interface.
- Includes social proof to keep undecided individuals interested.
- Focusses all elements on completing a single goal – conversion.
- Goals are clearly stated in the CTAs
When building your landing page, think about it as if you’re building a product. To ensure it’s successful you need to have it appeal to your target audience, meet their expectations, and convince them to take action. Remember, it will take time to create a perfect page, so don’t be afraid to experiment and adapt as you go.
5. Choose the Right Online Media Outlet
Different outlets work differently for every company. Some online platforms may work really well for one brand, but yield almost no results for another, as such you need to plan your resource allocation wisely.
According to Blue Fountain Media, before making a decision, you should evaluate what benefits each platform can provide. For example, when you wish to target users who search for your products online you can use a search advertising platform such as Google Ads.
However, if you’re a startup with a unique and innovative product that is just coming out into the marketplace you need to create demand for it from scratch. For this, you can use a social media advertising channel such as Facebook Ads. This way you’ll be able to target the audience that would be most interested in learning more about your business and products.
6. Add Creative Elements
Visual elements are an important business asset that can help you stand out from your competition. Whether it’s a special font, a color scheme, a logo, or a mascot, having it included in your campaigns can help make your brand easily recognizable.
You need to be able to grab your audience’s attention, maintain it and have them remember your brand. As such, adding unique and creative visual elements is essential to the success of your digital advertisements.
Define your brand’s key creative attributes. Logos, company colors, designs; make sure to align your campaigns’ design and content with them. This way you’ll keep your brand and message consistent.
You can test different variations to create a visual strategy that works for you. Doing so will give your visual content a consistent aesthetic, thus making your campaign feel familiar to users, but not repetitive.
Additionally, it’s necessary to ensure your digital ads tell a cohesive story regardless of the channel. This means using visuals that align with your copy, with your CTA, and with your overall branding strategy.
7. Look at the Right Data
Analyzing the right data is important so you understand how your money is being spent and how much return on investment you will get against it. Moreover, such data can help you make wiser marketing decisions that allow you to optimize future digital advertising campaigns and achieve an even higher ROI.
There are a wide variety of key performance indicators (KPIs) to track. For the purpose of this article, we will not go into all of them. Instead, we will outline the ones you need to ensure you’re looking at the right data.
Here are the 6 steps to take:
- Find the problem. This will help you concentrate only on the digital marketing data you have to track and how you can analyze it.
- Set data-driven goals. Basing your analysis on benchmarks and goals will give your numbers meaning.
- Gather accurate data. You need to ensure that you collect reliable data and use tools that make it easy to interpret.
- Make informed changes. Decide what to change by looking at previous data and using user or A/B testing.
- Experiment and improve. Digital marketing strategies are not static; they change as technology and customer preferences do, so don’t be afraid to experiment and look for creative solutions.
- Assess and adjust. When testing out a new idea look at your data carefully so you don’t affect your strategy.
Tracking digital ad campaign data can be tricky. You need to know which metrics to keep an eye on to give you a detailed picture of everything that is going on.
If you want your next campaign to help your brand reach a wider audience and gain more visibility, then you need to follow effective digital advertising practises. This means taking every campaign aspect into account and optimizing it.
Every successful digital advertising initiative starts with understanding your target audience and is based on strong SEO, content marketing and omnichannel strategies. It also calls for landing page optimization as well as a careful selection of online media outlets.
Finally, to ensure maximum impact you need to have a unique proposition. So, in addition to strategizing, don’t forget to be creative and test out what works and what doesn’t.