Hear ye, hear ye! It is the WordPress 20th anniversary, and we cannot hide our excitement!
Last year, we had a delightful office gathering at the DevriX headquarters to celebrate the 19th birthday of WordPress.
This year, we will take things to the next level by organizing an event to celebrate the special occasion. After 13 years on the market, DevriX is proud to be the only WordPress agency supporting this event.
Today, we are gathering in Sofia, Bulgaria, with WordPress enthusiasts from around the country to play games, eat cake, and have a toast for the anniversary of our beloved CMS.
Readers Also Enjoy: WordPress Website Development: Step-by-Step Guide – DevriX
WordPress Stats: 20th Anniversary Edition
WordPress was created on 27 May 2003 by Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little. What started out as a dream, has now, 20 years later, turned into a worldwide phenomenon.
WordPress powers 43% of all websites on the Internet worldwide, and the open-source content management system has proved time and time again that it is truly flexible, scalable, and easy to use.
Let us review some of the most essential statistics for the past 20 years.
- As of 2023, WordPress powers 455 million websites around the world.
- Since the birth of the platform, WordPress has had 43 major releases.
- The WordPress directory offers 10,811 free themes.
- The WooCommerce WordPress plugin is used by 93.7% of all eCommerce websites on WordPress.
- Out of the top 1 million websites, 36.28% are powered by WordPress.
- Roughly 70 million new posts, and 77 million comments are published through WordPress every month.
- The keyword “WordPress” has a global search volume of 2.3 million.
- Every year, 2 million new websites are created on WordPress.
- The top 3 countries with the most websites with WordPress are: USA (9 million), Russia (550 thousand), UK (380 thousand).
- Currently, the most popular version of WordPress is 6.1, with 54.3% of WordPress websites using it.
WordPress Fun Facts
Do you think you know everything about WordPress? Here are a few interesting facts about the largest CMS that you might have missed.
- The name “WordPress” was actually invented by Christine Selleck Tremoulet, a friend of Matt Mullenweg.
- No company owns WordPress. The trademark is owned by the non-profit organization WordPress Foundation, created by Matt Mullenweg.
- WordPress also has no CEO. It is entirely run by developer-volunteers from around the world.
- Governments around the globe use WordPress, including US Federal and State governments sites, and the official website of Sweden.
- WordPress, now 20-years old, was created before Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram existed.
- The famous WordPress logo was designed by Jason Santa Maria in 2005.
- WordPress has an unofficial mascot – Wapuu – created by Japanese community members. It was introduced in 2011 during WordCamp Fukuoka.
Did you know all those facts? Well, then surely the special 20th anniversary WordPress quiz we created for today’s Sofia event will be a piece of cake for you:
Happy WordPress Anniversary!
Once again, we would like to congratulate WordPress for their 20th birthday. We wish even more success to our favorite CMS, and we are certain that the future seems brighter than ever.
At DevriX, we are proud to be able to contribute to the WordPress community, having 11 WordPress Core Contributors, as well as, 50 open-source plugins.
Thank you for trusting us!