Greetings, WordPress professionals and enthusiasts!
Did you hear the news?
Exciting times have come for the WordPress community. An important announcement was made during WordCamp Europe 2023 – WordPress Playground, a new feature that allows users to instantly create WordPress applications in their browser.
Is this what the future of web development will look like?
Join us as we find out all about this new WordPress feature.
Readers Also Enjoy: How to Choose the Best WordPress Agency for Your Business – DevriX
WordPress Playground: What Is It?
WordPress Playground is a very fast, nearly instantaneous way to install WordPress. This feature reduces the WordPress installation time from around 5 minutes to around 500 milliseconds (0.5 seconds).
So, basically, the installation will be ready before you can say “DevriX is the best WordPress agency in the world” 😉
On top of that, everything happens within your browser – no need to worry about downloading or configuring anything additional.
This truly is a remarkable, innovative feature that could change the entire WordPress experience, as we know it.
Essentially, at the moment, WordPress Playground is, as the name suggests, an open field where every WordPress user can play around, experiment, and test features.
The best thing about it is that, of course, it is super easy and fast to start with. And the options are unlimited.
You can, for example, test different versions of plugins, as well as, PHP versions, preview pull requests from your repository, and even build an entire website.
Readers Also Enjoy: WordPress Website Development: Step-by-Step Guide – DevriX
How Does WordPress Playground Work?
There are a lot of technical specifications, however, these are the basics of how WordPress Playground works:
- Create a Playground. Every user can create a WordPress Playground by installing a local development environment like WAMP, XAMPP, or MAMP on their computer. This creates a local server where WordPress can be installed and tested.
- Install WordPress. After setting up the local development environment, you can install a fresh copy of WordPress on your Playground. This installation is separate from the live site and is only accessible on the local machine.
- Customization and Testing. You can now customize your Playground by installing themes and plugins, making changes to the design of the website, adding content, and experimenting with different settings. You can also create and test new features or functionality without the fear of breaking the live site.
- Preview Changes. The WP Playground allows you to preview the changes you have made before implementing them on the live site. This includes previewing theme changes, content edits, plugin functionality, and any other modifications you might have made.
- Debugging and Troubleshooting. The Playground environment provides a safe space for users to debug and troubleshoot any issues that may arise during the testing phase. You can also experiment with various solutions without affecting the performance of the live site or the user experience.
- Export Changes. Once you are satisfied with the changes made in the Playground, you can export these changes to the live site. This may involve exporting the updated theme files, database changes, or other modifications made during testing.
Ultimately, WordPress Playground can be a valuable tool for web developers, designers, and website owners to test and refine their WordPress websites without impacting the functionality or user experience of the live site.
Keep in mind that you do NOT need to install anything locally, you can simply open playground.wordpress.org and start playing around with it. You can test almost anything in it, until you refresh the page and the WP installation restarts.
To summarize, you have three options on how to use WordPress Playground:
- Directly use the playground.wordpress.org
- Install it locally
- Embed it into your website via a simple script
And, in case you were wondering, this WordPress simulator can be used on mobile apps, Node.js, VC code, etc. so it is not only limited to web browsers.
If you are curious to learn more about the technical specifications, feel free to read the WordPress Playground documentation.
Readers Also Enjoy: How to Create Simple React Chat Application Using Socket.IO – DevriX
Over to You
Are you ready to build your own playground online? WordPress Playground is certainly a feature that will only get better with time, and we are all excited to see what the future holds.
It is still a young project, and very much up for development. The great news is that, since WordPress is an open source platform, anyone can contribute towards making WP Playground get better and better.
So who knows? Perhaps, the collective efforts of the community will change the way we create, develop, and maintain websites? What is your opinion on the subject – we would love to hear from you!