There are a lot of websites that offer interesting articles. Some of the articles that are posted on these websites are really thought-provoking and attention-grabbing. However, not everyone may visit your website despite everything good you post. Why? Here are some of the reasons why readers do not visit your website and how to change that:
But before you begin to check out our post on How to Make Sure That my Website Follows The Standards.
1. Your Page Loads Really Slowly
Despite the fast internet connections that some user may have, your page may not load fast due to a massive overload of data and images. Thus your page takes a lot of time before loading everything up. Did you know that the average attention span of the human being now falls in 8 seconds? (according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, at the U.S. National Library of Medicine). It dramatically fell from 12 seconds in 2000 to 8 seconds in 2013! Therefore, if your website doesn’t load within that time, you already lost your readers’ attention.
- Avoid adding too much – Yes, I am talking about all those unnecessary images you have on your website. Remember that too much of anything is bad!
- Avoid using tables for your layout – Your web page loads a few milliseconds slower if you use tables for your layout or worse, it may not load at all.
2. You Use Colors That Don’t Complement Each Other
The color of your website may be two things: one, it has TOO MUCH color in it or its colors are too plain. In making a web page, make sure that you are very careful in choosing color combinations for your templates!
- Choose the appropriate colors – In choosing the most appealing colors for your web page, you can choose color patterns with similar hues (analogous) or palettes with contrasting accent colors.
- Choose colors with consideration – Some readers may have color deficiencies like the red-green color deficiency. To consider their problems, make sure to include visual cues to distinguish one content to another.
3. Your Links are not Working (or stopped working)
Some web pages offer links that are not working anymore. What does that mean for some readers? Your site is not maintained. Therefore, make sure that you check your links if they are still working or not!
- Use HTML Validators – Checking your links through HTML validators may greatly help you in these types of problems.
4. You Don’t Write Efficiently
As a person who also likes to read articles from different web pages, I like to see articles that are well written and pleasing to the eyes. If you are planning to post something, make sure that you consider these tips:
- Make room for spaces – Make sure that your articles have enough space in between your paragraphs and images. This way, your readers will be more able to understand and absorb what you’re posting. Who would want to read an article with crowded texts and images?
- Check spelling and grammar – Make sure to check your article for any typographical and grammatical errors before posting them online!
- Mind your font – Fonts are a big deal for your web pages. Be sure to choose fonts that are not too fancy and not too small. Keep in mind that some users may access your web page through personal computers or mobile phones. Thus, what may be a readable font in personal computers may not be readable on mobile phones. Choose a font that can be easily read!
- Write your headers and title with a bang! – Your headers and the titles of your article must be able to stimulate your readers’ interest. They should be intrigued with the content of the whole article by just reading your title AND your introduction. After all, holding your readers’ interest may be tough with a plain form of writing.
- Insert humor here – Reading your article should not just be informative but also fun to read. You can make their reading more interesting by providing pictures and quotes that are related to your content.
5. Disorganized Layout
The layout of your web page has a great impact on the overall appeal of your site. Is the navigation panel of your website clear and easy to use? Are your articles neatly sorted out? Some people may just give up visiting your website if the layout of your web page is not neat so make sure to sort everything out!
- Sort your Articles – The articles that you post on your web page may be sorted out by the date and year it was published or by assigning keywords to correspond with a certain topic. Wouldn’t it be nice to see a web page in which its content is properly sorted out to the side? All you have to do is to click on a certain year or keyword and all of the articles written will flash before your eyes. Remember, a key to a successful web page is its simplicity and neatness.
Most of the web pages online offer interesting articles that are informative and easy to read. However, not because you have the content does not mean that you should not take into account how your page looks like for others. No matter how fascinating an article is, if it is not properly presented, people will continue ignoring your work.