What Are Retainers?
Retainers are most useful for business that need constant development work, but do not have enough money to hire a full time developer. Also, individuals who are likely to need a lot of development might want to have an agency on retainer.
Fixed-fee projects are entirely based on assumptions and wild guesses. Even if you spend countless hours discussing hypothetical details and exchanging emails, you won’t be able to cover every single part of your project. No matter how detailed the specifications, there are always unforeseen bottlenecks that emerge throughout the development or testing stage of the final product.
At DevriX, our main goal is to optimize the overall business process through different iterations – during and after the initial product launch. We are not just building websites. We provide custom tailored solutions to business needs that are constantly growing and evolving as your business expands.
The industry standard for fixed fee projects is a 2-3 times multiplier due to scope creep, communication overhead, delays, QA back and forth that are unpredictable with a first time client. This is the reason why we are focusing on stable and simple partnerships with our clients, also known as retainers.
How Do Retainers Work?
Here is a real example, from one of our clients, who we’ve been working with since 2015.
The initial request we received was for a media website that operates in 6 locales with 30 editors. It had a budget of $50,000.
We built the project as per the initial requirements. Leaving a buffer of 80 hours for revisions and handed it to the content editors. Once the product was in their hands, they started submitting large volumes of content to the database.
While observing their writing habits, we realized that the editors were used to a different work style. They would go through too many steps for simple operations. In order to facilitate things, we proposed a custom tailored editing module, which combined three steps into one. Given the significant amount of data, it resulted in two hours per week for each editor – close to 250 hours saved a month for the whole team.
Just that initial optimization allowed the team to drastically increase the amount of content, without having to hire two or more full-time professional content writers.
Since the project was distributed on a retainer model, it allowed us to build the MVP (minimum viable product). We also worked in close collaboration with the team before going live with the public faced solution.
The retainer model allows DevriX to closely monitor your business, analyze and optimize your business processes and deliver valuable solutions that repeatedly exceed the development costs.
The Numbers, Mason!
Some Internet statistics:
- There were over 4 billion Internet users as of January 2018; that’s 50% of the world population.
- 86.75% of the U.S. population uses the Internet, but the U.S. only ranks #25 in terms of internet accessibility. The U.K. ranks #15 in terms of internet accessibility with an estimated 89.90% of U.K. citizens using the internet.
- Digital interactions influenced retail sales to the tune of $2.2 trillion in 2017.
- By 2017, there will be more internet traffic than all prior internet years combined.
- Wi-Fi and mobile-connected devices generated 68% of all internet traffic in 2017.
- In 2015, 64% of all in-store sales, or sales to the tune of $2.2 trillion, were influenced by the internet.
- 3.5 billion Google searches are made every day.
- 2.7 million blog posts are published every day.
- There are currently 1.8 million websites in the world today.
- The average e-commerce site takes 7.12 seconds to load in Internet Explorer 9, an average of 7.15 seconds to load in Firefox 7 and an average of 7.5 seconds to load in Google Chrome.
- The most popular CMS is WordPress, powering 25.4% of all websites in the world and responsible for over 76.5 million blogs created since 2004.
- 40% of Internet users, or more than 1 billion people, have bought products or goods online.
- A single second delay in your website loading time can result in a 7% loss in conversion, and 40% of web users will abandon a website if it takes longer than 3 seconds to load.
- Slow loading websites cost the U.S. e-commerce market more than $500 billion annually.
- Worldwide B2C e-commerce sales are estimated to reach $2.35 trillion in 2018.
- 51% of U.S. online shoppers cite slow site loading times as the main reason they abandon a purchase.
- 34% of British consumers cite a store’s reputable brand name as their reason for shopping with a brand; while 38% cite social media interaction as their reason for visiting a retailer’s website.
- Presently, 40% of shoppers compare 3 or more websites, often in the process of shopping, before making a purchase. That’s a massive increase from 10% in 2002. Therefore, it goes to show the importance of having a wide online presence.
- While mobile internet usage is high, desktop and tablet internet usage still converts more. An estimated 8.52% of desktop users add to cart and an estimated 2.78% convert to sales. This is higher than Smartphone conversion rates with an estimated 4.70% add to cart rate and an estimated 0.80% conversion rate. Therefore, desktop still leads when it comes to actual sales.
- An increase in site speed from 8 to 2 seconds can boost your conversion rate by 74% (based on data from 33 major retailers).
- Increasingly shrinking attention spans keep influencing e-commerce. In 2010, a page that took 6 seconds to load suffered a 40% loss in conversion. Today, a page that takes 6 seconds to load will experience a 50% loss in conversion.
- The average attention span has declined from 12 seconds (in 2000) to 8 seconds (2017). This is shorter than the attention span of a goldfish (at 9 seconds).
That’s Some Excellent Data, but How Is it Relevant to Me and DevriX Retainers?
Obtaining a working website for your business is just the tip of the iceberg when you’re making your online presence profitable. A common mistake is to build a simple business card somewhere on the web with no visibility or ongoing maintenance.
With the social media revolution and mass online accessibility, online marketing has become one of the top industries. The internet is a source of trillions of dollars in direct and indirect revenue annually. So, understanding how it works will only help your business grow.
Internet users are more and more educated on services and products. Furthermore, they are demanding more information than ever, prior to a purchase. This is where DevriX comes to the rescue.
We are not only offering web development services, but rather an expert team of specialists that can advise you through every step of building your online presence. Our work, with a number of partners in different industries, gives us the unique perspective to execute projects with expertise, according to latest trends, in every field of online business.
Why Should I Choose the DevriX Retainer Plan?
It’s simple. We are the best at what we do.
There are dozens of ways a project can be executed. Low-cost ones usually involve a cheap premium theme and several plugins, resembling the required features – with various compromises on quality, speed, security, and attention to detail. High-end ones focus on details, with thousands of lines of custom code, and weeks or even months spent on optimizing the platform for speed, security, or user experience.
And this is barely scratching the surface. So, what’s the difference between other agencies and Devrix?
We Are Professionals with Years of Experience and a Solid Background
Choosing DevriX as a partner means that you get over 150 years of combined online experience as a competitive advantage for your business. We are a large team of developers, marketers, sales executives, QAs, designers, SEO specialists, content writers and projects managers.
Once you hire DevriX, all of those people will be responsible for the realization of your business idea. They will all work towards your success.
We Will Take Care of Everything on Your Behalf
We have designated project managers for every partner we work with. This means we keep track of all communication, documentation, processes and deadlines internally. There is no need for the extra management overhead from your side.
You inquire. We provide.
Our Partners Are Everywhere
We work and have worked with wide range of companies from the aviation industry to retail to media. This gives us a unique business perspective. Moreover, it guarantees we’re up-to-date with everything that is going on in the industry today. It also lets us provide solutions and suggestions based on the best global practices. This allows us to create and maintain an internal partnership network and cross-promote services and products accordingly.
We Are Good at Sales
No matter how you phrase it, business is all about making money, and your website is the presentation you give your potential clients. Having a sales and marketing team in-house at DevriX gives you the opportunity to take advantage of our specialists and build the perfectly optimized online conversion machine.
We Keep Tech Jargon to a Minimum
At DevriX, we are business oriented and work with a broad portfolio of non-tech savvy, successful businesses. We try to keep the tech jargon to a minimum and focus on solving business problems instead. We will transcribe your needs to our developers so that you don’t have to.
How Would My Project Be Executed?
Here are some of our basic work processes so that you can understand the outline of the main ideas.
We Will Start with a Discovery Session
We will arrange a meeting or a call with you, where our lead designer, head of development and a marketing expert will be present. Together we will identify your primary business goals and create a strategy to follow. We will brainstorm together to create the best symbiosis between the latest technology and the best UX practices. Thus creating the best possible solution for you and your clients.
We Will Continue with the Design
The design is built iteratively. We will work closely with you until you are fully satisfied with the end product. After defining a corporate branding, our designers will come up with 3 to 5 mockups with various color scheme variations that you can choose from. We are particularly proud of our UX innovations. Our design revolves around features that are the perfect equation between visual presentation and functionality.
Next Step: Functionality
We will provide an MVP (minimum viable product) to be used by testers where we build the key features. We will present you with a basic variation of the initial product for you to use and test to identify what processes can be optimized. This saves the highest amount of time possible before the initial start.
Reviews and Iterations
The retainer plan means that the budget is not set in stone. This allows for the client to decide what is worth reiterating or building further and which features are ready to use. We will update you with progress weekly so that you can monitor everything closely and communicate with us immediately if you need something altered.
Server Setup and Scalability
Server configuration is scalable, we can start with a low-cost package and grow it as the traffic and user base increases. Website speed is mandatory for any internet site. This is an ongoing process of constant optimization and fine tuning as your database grows. The retainer plan allows us to monitor your website performance daily and take action at any given moment.
Ongoing Maintenance and Feature Development
Building a great website is just the first of many processes of your online journey. Our team of experts will support you every step of the way to a successfully executed business presence strategy. We will conduct marketing research, track your overall performance and suggest improvements that maximize your conversion rate.
Request a Quote Now
Still not sure if retainers are what your business needs? Check our business guide or request a quote through our form or contact one of our sales representatives to answer any questions you might have. As we are a distributed company, DevriX is available 24/7 to provide an in-depth business consultation and analysis.