Standing out in a sea of competitive marketers and content creators can be overwhelming. You have to make sure that you are using the right tools and have been implementing effective strategies that set your brand apart from your competition. Without these efforts, your website might not have the desired level of depth to reach your target audience effectively.
What Is Authoritative Content?
Authoritative content helps websites increase their visibility on social media and search engines. It helps Google understand that you know what you are talking about and that you are able to provide some expertise within your industry. A good level of content authority will help your site consistently rank higher for the keywords that you are using.
Additionally, authoritative content also helps evoke trust within your clients. It helps you gain new customers and retain the current ones.
However, creating authoritative content takes more than just having great research and writing skills. People’s expectations with content quality have exponentially grown over the years, and adapting to these changes is paramount to helping your business and website succeed.
How to Measure Content Authority?
You have to start analyzing your content to know if it’s authoritative enough for search engines and your audience. Here are a few ways to measure how verifiable your content is:
- Assess your writing quality. First, check your articles and take a deep look at their quality. You can use tools such as Grammarly to make sure that your writing is free from grammatical errors, and spelling mistakes, with good readability. Pay attention to the sentence length, your content’s uniqueness, and word usage. Your text should not be too complex that your readers cannot understand it, nor too simple that Google won’t consider ranking the post.
- Use the right tools. Atomic Reach can help with examining your content authority by measuring its relevance and quality. It grades your content based on its structure and linguistic components, thus helping content marketers deliver powerful content that drives leads to their website.
- Dissect your content style. Including in-line citations, statistics, fact lists, and quoting credible sources can increase your chances of having higher content authority.
- The amount of information provided in your article. If your article is lacking trustworthy information about the topic that you are writing about, then chances are your content authority is low. Try using a natural language program or NLP such as ReVerb to see if all the information and claims stated in your blog posts are factual.
- Scan your titles. Avoid clickbait titles and provide ones that fully support your article instead since these types of headlines can result in higher bounce rates and lower rankings. Clickbait can even affect the way your customers view your website and your overall business. Create headlines that include your target keywords and that elicit trust from your audience by providing the information that you’ve promised in your title.
Measuring your content authority is just the beginning. You have to help your business thrive by implementing certain steps and changes to improve your reliability.
Perform a Deep Analysis of the Topic
Gather ample data and analyze your topic before writing about it. Add value to your content by including statistics and information that you know your readers will appreciate. This will help your content stand out and compel your audience to share it with other people. Make sure you have enough data before writing so you can take your article to the next level.
Write With Authority
Avoid copying another website’s blog posts. This will not only get you in trouble, but it will also make you sound as if you are trying to report on something that you are not knowledgeable about. Use past experiences and stories as a way to support your claims. It doesn’t have to be your own – as long as you cite the source and it is completely relevant to your topic, then that’s all you need.
Here are some ways you can write a piece with authority:
- Avoid rambling and be clear about what you want to say. You shouldn’t come across as doubtful because your readers will sense this. Engage in meaningful arguments, add depth and value to the topic, and avoid fluff.
- Prove your point by citing sources and add examples. Use quotes from experts and include supporting links.
- Steer clear of overcomplicating the language. Avoid excessive use of jargon and colloquialism.
- Proofread your content before posting it.
Keep Up With Your Industry’s Trends and Relevant News
Observe what people are currently talking about and link it to your industry’s latest trends. Compile photos, highlights, and even videos of the news and turn it into an article. Make sure to update your content every once in a while to keep everything relevant.
Invite Influential People for an Interview
Guest posts are great for generating not only referral traffic from other blogs, but they could improve your brand awareness as well. This can eventually grow your subscriber base, which can turn into leads and conversions.
Invite experts who share the same views and opinions as you. They surely have information that you are not aware of, and sharing this with your audience can help with showing that you and your guest are experts in the industry.
Additionally, be a keen observer when looking at the experts in your field. Take note of what they are saying and how they are saying it, and take that as a lesson. Apply it the next time you write a piece of content, or add a direct quote.
Use Illustrations to Prove Your Point
Graphics and charts are easier and faster to understand. They also make your content a lot more convincing and intuitive and make it easier for your audience to get a better grasp of what your intentions are.
Here are some of the ways illustrations can help boost your content authority:
- They help support your point. Hire a professional graphic designer to create charts, graphs, and infographics according to your vision. These should support your content so readers can easily navigate through the article.
- Images can help convey professionalism, which can improve the way your customers see your brand. The more trust your patrons put in your content, the more authoritative it will be.
- Illustrations can help educate, entertain, and inspire. They also help improve the article’s structure, making it seem a lot more legitimate and trustworthy.
Approach the Topic From a Different Angle
Intrigue and excite your audience by approaching the topic from a different angle since it has most likely been talked about and posted on the internet numerous times in its current form. Try to look at the bigger picture of what the subject is about and discuss it in a way no one has ever done before.
Being unique when it comes to producing content, is what sets you apart from your competition.
Create Case Studies
Without hard facts, your content is just another blog post among millions on the Internet. So if you want to stand out and provide industry insights, create some case studies and present the results to your audience. Collecting and analyzing all the data might take some time, but it will be worth it. Once deemed authoritative this content can help you gain new subscribers and leads even years after it has been posted.
To execute a case study, you should take action first. Do thorough research about your topic, roll out interviews, and send surveys to the people involved. Once you’ve got the results, it’s time to organize and share them in an article. Offering fresh and relevant information is a great way to boost your content authority.
Again, no one wants to read the same words over and over again. You have to present new information so that people are compelled to click on your post. Do keyword research and see what your target audience is looking for.
Additionally, your customers won’t trust your brand and website if they find out that you copy and imitate other content creators. Coming up with original content is one way to tell your readers that you are aware of the latest news and trends in your industry. This also assures them that you can understand their needs as a brand and that they can trust the information that you put out.
Provide Answers With Authority
Offer answers to the most common questions your readers are asking by creating a blog post about it. Be confident, show expert knowledge, and make sure that your tone is convincing when presenting the information.
Include evergreen questions as these are queries that will always be asked no matter whether it’s today or years in the future. Moreover, articles that provide dependable answers to evergreen questions will always be seen as authoritative content.
Everyone on the internet can come up with some type of content for their website or social media pages, but not everyone can be authoritative. Flimsy articles are being posted left and right, and so it is time to step up and invest more time in the content that you want to distribute.
Always make it a point to double-check everything before hitting the “publish” button. Creating great content takes time. So don’t rush it and review every detail before sharing it with the world.