SEO is a process that always requires lots of time. That’s why every marketer or businessman who is engaged in search engine optimization needs time-saving tools and solutions to automate and boost performance.
After years of development, progress has brought around such a wonderful technical invention for browsers as the toolbar. Nowadays, there’s hardly anyone in the digital realm who doesn’t know what a toolbar is but let’s have a look at the definition that Wikipedia provides anyway:
“Toolbar is a graphical control element on which on-screen buttons, icons, menus, or other input or output elements are placed.”
Luckily, today, we have a variety of free and paid SEO toolbars that will make your SEO work more efficient and save you time.
Now let’s have a look at the most useful ones!
SIDENOTE: If you are interested in how many keywords you can rank on one page, you should check out this research study.
Moz is a well-known SEO software that has a reputation for being one of the leaders in the SEO industry. Talking about MozBar, I would like to say it is really great in terms of spying on your competitors in order to boost your own website’s position on Google search.
It allows you to see which links on a page are do-follow/no-follow and internal/external. Moreover, you can do a standard SEO analysis of your competitors. You will be able to analyze backlink profiles, measure domain authority, and carry out on-page analysis.
Let’s have a look at the features of this service.
- Choose the toolbar’s theme (dark of light).
- Create custom searches by engine, region, country, or city.
- Assess ranking probability with Page and Domain Authority.
- Compare link metrics across pages while viewing any SERP.
- Highlight keywords on a page.
- Expose page elements, general attributes, markup, link metrics, HTTP status.
- View Keyword Difficulty score in a real time.
- The free version is pretty basic. You need a paid MOZ Pro account to access the advanced features.
Mangools SEO extension will show you the most important data from the Mangools SEO tools package plus a lot of on-page SEO insights.
You will get the website authority and trend metrics, quick backlink analysis, the key rank tracking data, keyword density, SERP appearance, PageSpeed insights, and much more.
A very useful feature is the context menu integration of Mangools tools and advanced abilities for SEO analysis directly in Google SERP.
- SEO metrics (DA, PA, CF, TF).
- Backlink analysis with SEO metrics and additional data.
- On-page analysis (keyword density, SERP snippet, outbound links status checker, Google index coverage status, PageSpeed test, social widgets preview).
- Rank tracking.
- Context menu integrations.
- Advanced features directly in the SERP.
- It’s free for most of the data, but you’ll get all of it as a registered user.
Majestic Backlink Analyzer is a part of SEO service that also stands among the leaders. Its main focus is backlink data. With it, you can get a quick overview of any website’s backlink profile and access such metrics as link count and Flow Metrics scores, along with history charts.
If you have a premium account with Majestic, you will get access to more advanced SEO metrics as you browse websites.
- Free general overview of the website.
- Powerful backlink index.
- Backlink history chart.
- Referring domains chart.
- Custom metrics like Trust Flow and Citation Flow.
- Topical Trust Flow showing the topics/category of backlinks.
- Saving links in your account for further analysis.
- Both Chrome and Firefox extensions are available.
- You can get access to all features after a full subscription.
- It is not all-in-one SEO software.
It goes without saying that digital marketing is impossible without content. That’s why marketers need a tool for content research and monitoring. If you need to know what topic is popular on social media and what topics get a huge amount of engagement, BuzzSumo is the tool you should use.
BuzzSumo browser extension will give you all this data on the fly.
- Lots of data is available with a free plan.
- View shares throughout the most popular social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest).
- View who shared the page.
- Search for the most shared content.
- Analyze websites.
- It is focused mostly on content.
- Backlink data is quite basic and should be rather used for estimations and comparisons.
- Top SEO Trends for Businesses to Follow in 2022
- How to Improve Your Google SEO Score in 3 Steps
- Top 7 Benefits of SEO for Small Businesses
Ahrefs is probably most known as a backlink analysis tool. However, today, Ahrefs has become one of the few “all-in-one” SEO toolsets. It includes content research and keyword research tools, as well as one of the most popular activities with Ahrefs – thorough competitor analysis.
With Ahrefs SEO toolbar, you will be able to get all of the most important SEO metrics of your competitors straight from their websites. A deeper analysis for any metric is just one click away.
Let me show you the main features of Ahrefs SEO toolbar.
- Free 14-day trial is available.
- Page backlink analysis (for any specific URL).
- Domain overview (referring pages, total backlinks, crawled pages).
- SERP integration.
- Choose which metric to show and which to hide.
- Broken link checker.
- Keyword metrics.
- Informative visualization for various other metrics.
- Might be expensive for startups (lite package costs $99, but you can use annual billing and get two months for free).
SimilarWeb is a service that works great for the estimation of any website’s traffic. It can show you traffic sources and ranking, give you the overview of a website’s audience’s interests & locations, engagement rate and keyword ranking, and even show you where site owners advertise.
- Free version is quite enough for a general overview.
- See how much traffic competitors get.
- Monthly visits and traffic sources.
- Audience locations.
- Site rankings.
- Similar websites.
- Engagements (time on site, pageviews, bounce rate, visits).
- You can’t set specific date ranges with a free account.
- Number of unique visitors is only available in paid accounts for your website only.
- Traffic estimation is not perfect, yet probably the best one among other tools.
The main function the toolbar offers you is getting open data on the website you’re interested in. It reveals to you the basics you might need for your SEO campaign.
- SEO stats analysis.
- Page speed.
- Links stats analysis.
- WHOIS lookup.
- Geolocation information.
- Number of indexed pages in different search engines.
- Last cached version on Archive.org.
- The UI is a bit visually outdated (IMHO).
- Ads are shown in a toolbar. If you can live with that, you will get a very insightful tool.
SEOquake is a free browser plugin from Semrush for website evaluation. It is pretty good for a general SEO overview of any website. It has a bunch of tools inside and even integrates into Google Search Console.
Let’s see what it offers.
- Real-time SEO audit.
- See any metric you need, like Semrush rank backlinks, domain age, indexed pages, number of social shares, traffic sources.
- Get SERP analysis and Export results in CSV.
- Get reports on both external and internal links.
- Estimate keyword difficulty.
- Compare URLs/Domains.
- And more…
- Available for Chrome, Modzilla, Opera, and IE.
The Keyword Surfer is a free extension that focuses on keyword research and providing content guidelines. It can be useful at all stages of the content-creation process including finding the proper search terms, distributing them properly, and optimization.
- Shows monthly keyword volumes.
- Suggests similar or related keywords.
- Provides on-page data for pages (traffic, word count, keywords).
- Content editor that generates improvement suggestions based on competitors
- NLP-powered algorithm.
- All features are available for free.
- It has a free 14-day trial.
- Traffic Estimations.
- Show social shares statistics.
- Provides title tags/meta information.
- Shows what plugins and CMS are used.
- Reveals page load metrics.
- You’ll get a few advanced features if you purchase an advanced account (mobile visits, crawl errors report, backlink quality score, etc).
To sum up, I would like to say that SEO toolbars are still in high demand in 2022. Despite the fact some of them are a bit visually outdated, they show insightful and important information for website analysis. Pay attention to the features each toolbar has and implement them according to your own business needs.
It is up to you which toolbar to choose because they have a common goal – to make your SEO more convenient and faster. I recommend that you play with each toolbar to create your own combination.
If you have anything else to add to this list of SEO toolbars, please feel free to let me know in the comments.
Don’t forget to share this post on social media channels.
Sergey Aliokhin is an Outreach Manager at Ahrefs. He spends most his time learning about SEO and Internet Marketing tendencies. His main goal is to study and practice new aspects of an outreach strategy. In his spare time, he likes to spend time with his family, visit sports clubs, and study martial arts. He also enjoys reading books on science-fiction and playing the bass guitar.